There are several different types of lasers that can be used for hair removal, each with their own unique characteristics and operating at different wavelengths. The latest innovation in laser hair removal is the Nd:YAG. The wavelengths of a laser machine generally correspond to the depth of penetration within the skin.
- Nd:YAG – 1064nm
- Alexandrite – 755nm
- Diode – 823nm
- Ruby – 694nm
1) Nd:YAG – The Nd:YAG laser is a long-pulsed laser that uses a wavelength of 1064 nm. It’s impressive for hair removal because it is able to achieve a much greater penetration into the skin than other lasers. It is also the latest innovation in laser technology and can offer double the penetration of other lasers.
It’s considered the gold standard for hair removal in darker skin types as it has a longer wavelength that is less absorbed by melanin (pigment) in the skin, reducing the risk of burning or pigmentation changes.
2) Alexandrite – The Alexandrite laser is a powerful and fast laser that uses a wavelength of 755 nm. It is considered to be one of the most effective lasers for hair removal and is suitable for use on lighter skin types.
Some practitioners may also use Alexandrite lasers for superficial skin treatments, such as treating age spots, freckles, and other forms of hyperpigmentation.
The Alexandrite laser works by emitting a beam of high-energy light that is absorbed by the melanin (pigment) in the skin, which causes the targeted cells to heat up and break down. In addition to hair removal, this process can also be used to treat hyperpigmented areas of the skin by selectively targeting and destroying the melanin-containing cells.
3) Diode – The Diode laser uses a wavelength of 810-830 nm. It can work well for different hair colours, skin types, and is effective for treating large areas like the legs, back and chest. It’s considered to be a powerful and effective laser for hair removal, but it’s not as versatile as the Nd:YAG laser.
Diode lasers also have some other applications in aesthetics and dermatology. One such application is in the treatment of acne, as the diode laser can target and destroy the bacteria that cause acne, as well as reducing the inflammation and redness associated with active acne.
They can also be used for skin tightening and rejuvenation. Because diode laser system has a high fluence and low repetition rate, it can heat up the dermis, triggering collagen remodeling and production.
Additionally, Diode laser can be used for pigmented lesion treatment, such as age spots, freckles and other forms of hyperpigmentation. The diode laser can target the melanin present in the lesion and break it down, resulting in a reduction in pigmentation.
It’s also worth noting that diode lasers can be useful in some surgical procedures, such as endovenous laser treatment (EVLT) used to treat varicose veins.
4) Ruby – Finally, The Ruby laser uses a wavelength of 694 nm. It is an older technology and not as commonly used as the other types mentioned. This laser can be more painful than others and tends to work best on lighter skin types with darker hair.
In general, the best type of laser for hair removal will depend on the individual’s hair and skin color, as well as the area being treated. It’s highly recommended to do a patch test before proceeding with a full treatment and you should consult with a licensed aesthetician or dermatologist to determine which laser is best suited for your needs.
Far salon owners, or those looking to start up their own clinic or add to their portfolio, we recommend our Nu TriLaze Plus. This innovative machine brings together the Alexandrite, Diode, and epic Nd:YAG lasers all into one convenient and easy to operate machine. Meaning, you can offer the widest possible range of treatments to clients who will be consistently happy with the results.
Benefits of the Nu TriLaze Plus
- 3 in 1 – Three Laser Technologies in one machine
- Alexandrite, diode and Nd:YAG lasers – treats all skin types
- Cutting edge SuperCool™ Technology for a painless experience
- Twice as efficient as all other lasers
- FDA & Medical CE Certified Machine
- Easy to operate
- Costs less than 1p per 20 shots to operate
- Over 3 times less expensive than our competitor Alma Soprano Ice Platinum
- Fast & Excellent results